Friday, May 13, 2011

"Codo del Diablo"

Philip of Rothschild
Gray's Anatomy
Esófago
Anatomy of Melancholy
Mahogany
John 6:53-56 
"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.:  He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him."
 

 On the High Line, Durango and Silverton Narrow Gage, Colorado
by Superstock
  
Chess: "Anatomy" "Grey's Anatomy" "Esófago" "Philip of Rothschild" "Codo del Diablo" "Mahogany" 


"It was full moolight when the boy mounted the deck and gave us the pilot's welcome. I could not distinguish his features, but I could see  that he was not white ; and his voice was as soft as a woman's. He took his place at the wheel, and, loading the brig with canvass, told us of the severe gales on the coast, of the fears entertained for our safety, of disasters and shipwrecks, and of a pilot who, on a night which we well remembered, had driven his vessel over a sunken reef.
      At seven o'clock the next morning we saw Balize, appearing, if there be no sin in comparing it with cities consecrated by time and venerable associations, like Venice and Alexandrea, to rise out of the water. A range of white houses extended a mile along the shore, terminated at one end by the Government House, and at the other by the barracks, and intersected by the river Balize, the bridge across which formed a picturesque object ; while the fort on a little island at the mouth of the river, the spire of a Gothic church behind the Government House, and groves of cocoanuts-trees, which at that distance reminded us of the palm-trees of Egypt, gave it an appearance of actual beauty. Four ships, three brigs, sundry schooners, bungoes, canoes, and a steamboat, were riding at anchor in the harbour ; alongside the vessels were rafts of mahogany ; far out, a negro was paddling a log of the same costly timber ;  and the government dory which boarded us when we came to anchor was made of the trunk of a mahogany tree."----John Lloyd Stephens INCIDENTS OF TRAVEL IN CENTRAL AMERICA, CHIAPAS AND YUCATAN

No comments: