Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Golden Gate

Sail
Vela
Architecture
Browning
Golden Gate
Luke1:1
"Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,"


 Moscow, Russia
Art historian Kenneth Clark is credited with writing about the Ponts des Arts in his book Civilisation:
"I am standing on the Pont des Arts in Paris. On the one side of the Seine is the harmonious, reasonable facade of the Institute of France, built as a college in about 1670. On the other bank is the Louvre, built continuously from the Middle Ages to the nineteenth century: classical architecture at its most splendid and assured. Just visible upstream is the Cathedral of Notre Dame --not perhaps the most lovable of cathedrals, but the most rigorously intellectual façade in the whole of Gothic art. [...]
What is civilisation? I do not know. I can't define it in abstract terms --yet. But I think I can recognise it when I see it: and I am looking at it now."
Kenneth Clark, Civilisation (1969).

Chess: "Sail" "Vela" "Architecture" "Browning" "Golden Gate"

No comments: